Friday 30 May 2014

Poke us higher Poch!

With a busy few days at work, I guess the news about Pochettino (I hope that is spelt right) has not really sunk in yet.

In a way, it reminds me of the hiring of George Graham in 1998 - everyone knew it was going to happen so it was only a matter of when. I'm a bit ambivalent on it to tell the truth: he has proven his capability in building a team of some good English players, shown a keeness to work with the youth team and taken an average promoted team and finished 2 places below Spurs in the league.

So why am I not happier? Well, two things - one we know little of his ability to take this team on and push them further up the league, what we were expecting from AVB I guess, and secondly what is his ability to work with under performing and obviously quality players - Paulinho, Soldado and Lamela.

The other name in contention was Frank De Boer, who has won 4 back to back titles with Ajax. Yes he has won at a high level but in truth, is he capable of delivering at this higher level? The word is the smart money is on De Boer and Dennis Bergkamp becoming a managerial double act at Arsenal some day.

I suppose as a Spurs fan I am going to be sceptical. We've seen big name management come and go, and the last manager showed some potential with his getting the best from Adebayor and Eriksen, but failed in his ability to communicate with the media and ultimately, the fans. Sherwood will be fine I suspect though, a championship club would be a good next position and I suspect we'll see him in the Premier League sometime soon.

As for Pocchetino, well what needs to be done has been detailed and despite the claims of £100m being "wasted", with the right moulding he could turn the squad into something interesting with a full pre-season ahead of him. Let's hope he brings Luke Shaw and Ricky Lambert with him to plug the left back and up front problems, sells what needs to be sold and makes a valiant effort to bring Steven Caulker back and identifies a decent solution to the left wing issue. Then we'll be satisfied.

One more thing before I finish, there was a lot of Spurs hate going on in regards to Gareth Bale's champions league win last weekend. Some said that the money we made was wasted, I say wait and see, others suggest what could have been. I just say congratulations Gareth, never been more delighted to see a former player succeed so well so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment