Friday 22 March 2013

Spurs seem to lose when I dont watch - Dan Raywood's conundrum

In the last week I have had to ensure the once super Spurs fall from the cockerels perch to three successive defeats.

Although Spurs have not actually dropped any places in the league, what they have done is dropped points that has seen us lose ground to the chasing blues and gooners and miss out on closing the gap to second place City.

What the problem is seems to be what was blessing us a matter of weeks ago, notably TV coverage (and me watching in particular) and of course, goals.

For example, it was Mother's Day and I watched England v Ireland in the six nations rather than the defeat to my fellow blogger Matt's beloved Liverpool. I was then at a conference in Belfast while Raj and I watched the 4-1 courtesy of BBC text updates and the fotmob app. Finally Spurs' defeat to Fulham was not on TV and I am not techy enough to search for live streams, besides my full time job as an IT security journalist has scared me off the dark corners of the Internet.

So is the problem me and my not watching Spurs? Well when I did watch we won, when I didn't, we lost! Admittedly the problem is greater than me not sitting on the sofa and Sky/ESPN/ITV not showing the coverage, but there is a wierd correlation here.

Sadly if only things were so easily solved, Mr Levy would undoubtedly have offered me a free ticket to every game to ensure the results go our way. Instead the problem seems to be in front  of goal, instead of 'the one man team' we are now missing something key from both Defoe and Adebayor, who have both become goal-shy in these games.

I was one of many calling for spurs to bolster the attacking line during the transfer window and while there are memories of Gregorz Rasiak, picking up a decent striker on loan would have been the sensible option. Instead we find ourselves with Defoe, Adebayor and Dempsey missing the target or short of confidence along with a lack of penetration from either wing due to Lennon's injury, Townsend's loan to QPR and Bale's move to the middle.

Now with a two week break ahead of the next game away at Swansea, I would suggest looking at moving Bale back to the left wing, moving the emerging  Siggurdsson to the centre and if he doesn't work out, give Lewis Holtby a run out.

Spurs have a great attacking line and we can be thankful that the defence is holding up (not counting 4 goals conceded against Inter) and while I appreciate the changes and desire to play Bale in a more central role to make the maximum impact, sometimes you have to stick with what is comfortable and familiar as that is what works.

After all, we were in a similar position last year and we never thought history would repeat in a positive fashion - but it has, and we cannot let Champions League football slip from between our fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment