Tuesday 29 January 2013

Spain is a long way from Spurs

After last week's blog where I tagged myself and Matt's teams, this weekend saw us both with long faces after the FA Cup's fourth round. I missed all of Sunday's games, choosing instead to watch the rather good Django Unchained, but it seems that this was a wise decision.

Now I could start complaining about poor decisions (possibly) but what seems to have been the downfall is starting with no strikers. My last blog post focused on the lack of options and it was sensible to rest Jermain Defoe and play Dempsey, but this in my view was a missed opportunity to start one of our youth team players - namely John Obika or Iago Falque - and give them the chance to start a match.

Instead we went in like a leaderless Spain and attempted to beat Leeds without a striker. Perhaps it worked, but the evidence is that Clint Dempsey was left to spearhead the attack along with fellow midfielders Sigurdsson, Bale and Lennon.

Personally, I am an advocate of the youth team and would prefer to exciting young players like Andros Townsend and Tom Carroll given the opportunity to play against a decent opposition, plus let the former settle the score with (former loan boss) Neil Warnock.

I will not complain about AVB's player choice if we get 3 points against Norwich on Wednesday, but it is disappointing to be out of the FA Cup with no chance of wembley this season

No comments:

Post a Comment